Sunday, October 16, 2005

Leaving and Cleaving

"I take occasion to remark as a general rule, that mothers-in-law are seldom wise or add to the happiness of their daughters in reality. With the best of intentions and out of excessive affection they do a great amount of mischief, interfere in matters they had far better let alone, and cause a vast quantity of petty squabbling and unhappiness. I ask my children to particularly notice this: it is the result of long observation of a great many cases in life. It is my deliberate conviction when a young woman marries and leaves her home, that the more she and her husband are let alone and the less they are meddled with and interfered with by other persons, the happier and better it will be for them."

J. C. Ryle, A Self-Portrait: A Parital Autobiography

4 Comments:

Blogger Compleat Mom said...

My own mom agreed wholeheartedly. May I have such opinions. But then, we had better do such careful work ahead of time in choosing husbands that we have no desire to interfere; eh, daughties?

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure Ryle could have said the same thing about wives' mothers-in-law, too.--Cal

8:50 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

Susan told me to come read this-- my, you have posted a lot on your blog lately! I have some catch -up to do-- I can attest, as I'm sure can many, to the truth of this statement. Unfortunately, it is not the sort of quotable that the said in-laws would appreciate!

11:49 AM  
Blogger Compleat Mom said...

Heh-heh.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home