No Regrets

I watched the surf this morning from a lifeguard chair on Ft. Lauderdale's beach. (I'd stopped for a half hour after having breakfast with Kilby at Einstein Bros' and then dropping her for a day of work at the seminary.) A few rare moments of quiet and maybe a chance to pray. Just maybe a chance to feel the Lord's presence with me. Don't remember the path on which it came, only I see the frothy bubbles of the surf working over an incoming wave--the bubbles resemble in texture the ochre seaweed they sometimes wash up--but a fresh understanding of God's sovereignty came to relieve me of a growing burden of regrets. Called guilt? I don't remember my distant life as being so filled with regret. (Of course I don't remember it being so filled with sin, either). But regrets seem to be crowding in to my otherwise blessing filled life of late. Regrets that sometime have no name until I have the time to figure out why I'm feeling wretchedness. Regrets that seem to block my ability to pray. But how do regrets work with Romans 8:28? And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. "All things" include my sin. My sin for which I must daily repent. My sin which I do regret. But to carry these regrets around, instead of living in the forgiveness which comes with confession, is to deny God's sovereignty. And I think that must be pride.
I thank the Lord for this interlude this morning.
1 Comments:
How I struggle with meditating over-much on sins long past, confessed, and forgiven. When my view is self-focused, I despair. I thank God for little reminders like this of the joy and satisfaction of focusing on His goodness and grandeur. It is so very freeing.
Post a Comment
<< Home