Friday, August 04, 2006

Holy marriage

Now Solomon brought the daughter of Pharaoh up from the City of David to the house he had built for her, for he said, "My wife shall not dwell in the house of David king of Israel, because the places to which the ark of the Lord has come are holy." 2 Chronicles 8:11



We read this in family worship and I was struck by Solomon's audacity, his unmitigated effrontery to his covenant-keeping God. He knew his wife was not set apart, yet he not only became unequally yoked, but he built her a place away from the the covenant community. Did he put her away? I daresay he followed her. Why else have a wife?

I want to teach my children something more from this. What was his purpose in marrying this woman? Was it to better pursue the things of the Lord, to be about building His kingdom? Or was it to satisfy his lust of the flesh, his lust of the eyes, and the pride of life? Do not even think of marriage for marriage's sake, for human pleasure or satisfaction. It may lead to a snare. Think only of serving the Man who bought your eternal life. He will grant you a most satisfactory spouse if it will serve His purpose best. Remember my favorite Simone Weil quote:

Why should I have any anxiety? It is not my business to think about my self. My business is to think about God. It is for God to think about me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home