A favorite excerpt
Did you ever read Nancy Wilson's The Fruit of Her Hands? In it she writes:
Many years ago I was the busy mother of three children, ages four, two, and under one. Life was full, with hardly time to sit down. I was occupied with many mundane things like diapers and laundry and crayons and play dough. Once in a while I would wonder just what happened to my "ministry" that I had enjoyed when I was single and working with a Christian organization. This was simply the very old "the grass is always greener" temptation.
One night as I was washing the dishes my mind wandered of in that direction. Should I be leading Bible studies? Shouldn't I be involved in more active evangelism? Couldn't I "disciple" someone? Didn't God want me to do something for Him?
Immediately I realized what He wanted me to do. He wanted me to do the dishes. But I wondered if there was something else He would want me to do. And I realized that yes, there was something else. He would want me to do them cheerfully.
As I reflected on this, I realized what I had known all along. God had called me to be a wife, mother, and homemaker. Because of this, all the mundane things I did were sanctified, holy, purposeful, and honoring to God, and I should offer them all to Him. "I beseech you therefore, brethern, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service" (Romans 12:1) Not only that, I should find contentment doing these things unto the Lord.
1 Comments:
this is one of my favorite excerpts, too. reading it the first time marked the beginning of my journey to true content motherhood. knowing that raising my children for God is enough.
Post a Comment
<< Home