Being extreme
Let us cast to the winds as idle talk the common notion that it is possible to be "extreme" and go "too far" in religion. This is a favorite lie of the devil and one which he circulates with vast industry. No doubt there are enthusiasts and fanatics to be found who bring an evil report upon Christianity by their extravagances and follies.
But if anyone means to say that a mortal man can be too humble, too charitable, too holy or too diligent in doing good, he must either be an infidel or a fool. In serving pleasure and money, it is easy to go too far. But in following the things which make up true religion and in serving Christ, there can be no extreme. --J.C. Ryle
"Extreme huh? I know you have examples...could you share some?"
Not sure what your question is, here, Denna. Maybe you're just agreeing. I think his second paragraph makes it clear:
"But if anyone means to say that a mortal man can be too humble, too charitable, too holy or too diligent in doing good, he must either be an infidel or a fool. In serving pleasure and money, it is easy to go too far. But in following the things which make up true religion and in serving Christ, there can be no extreme."
I wish I could give examples, if that is what you're after, of when I was accused of being extreme. Maybe in trusting the Lord for the size of our family, not using bc at all. Can't think of others just now.
A dear pastor of ours once pointed out that Matthew 6:33 tells us to seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness (I still haven't found it all yet!). Nowhere in scripture does it tell us of a second category. In fact, Matthew 6:33 goes on to tell us that all the things the gentiles pursue will be added to us, so I think the first should take all our time. And this might be the point of Ryle's comment. I'm putting this on my blog to see if I can get other comments about it...
2 Comments:
For me, it comes down who I am trying to serve or please. If I'm trying to to please God and Him alone, then some people are going to find my actions odd, intolerant, or extreme. I struggle with being overly concerned about how others perceive me and trying to moderate my conformity to the Word into societal norms. Like you mentioned about your children. The decision to stay home to parent full-time, keeping the Sabbath, loving the brothers and sisters like your own family, administering "wounds from a friend", corporal punishment, striving not to love this world so much and being familiar with all its nuances and ways... those are all examples that I see in your family.
I'm striving here to keep my mind on eternal, rather than earthly things. The lust of the flesh is strong! I had no idea how materialistic I was until we got here-- and we still have plenty! Pray for me dear mother in Christ. I am so easily discouraged these days.
Missing you and praying that God will continue to strengthen and bless you!
My neighbor is not a Christian and the people who lived in this house before us were. My neighbor thinks they were extreme, because they were extremely religious, i.e. witnessed to them and went to church all the time. I cannot say if they had engaged in extravagences or follies, or if they had odd personalities, because I did not know them; however, Christians often do come across as extreme to unbelievers for doing what is right.
Maybe the line between what is folly and what is holy is fuzzy in some people's thinking. I'm thinking specifically of the "don't smoke, don't chew" issues. I was taught our bodies are temples of the HS, and we are to take care of them; the "take care of them" referred exclusively to abstaining from drugs, alcohol, and cigarettes. That is folly, but lots of people measure holiness by such standards.
Someone is extreme who sets up his own criteria for holiness and judges others by it. Even if I'm considered "in" or holy by this person because I happen to do thus and such, I would still consider that person's beliefs to be extreme.
Someone is not extreme who strives for personal holiness. Such a person would not judge others according to his own criteria, but would always set the Word above human standards.
Post a Comment
<< Home