Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Lamps for lampstands

From Harbor House at Wheaton College. (Harbor House is a five year old refurbished home that is the retreat/meeting center for the finest of the college activities. Marilee's power was out yesterday after storms and she insisted on putting me up in the Mayflower room, the southwest corner of this old home, done up in buttercream and blue toile, blue and white plates decorating the walls, an old ship model on the mantel of the fireplace. I woke in the night to hear the familiar freight train rumbling less than a mile away. I used to live much closer to these same tracks, a few blocks south of here, and learned that sound in the wee hours. The guestbook in the room lists people I know and people of whom I have heard. And I bless the Lord for the fellowship of the saints and for the treat of this little retreat. I am now working on a computer in the front hall waiting for Marilee to ring me for breakfast...)

On the plane I read Cal's paper that he is to deliver this Saturday in Roanoke on evangelizing our children. I can't wait to share it with many of you. (Or ask, and I'll get you a copy.) I talked with him late last night after I got in to point out a couple of typos. That led to his telling me of a married-with-children student who stopped by his office yesterday for a long chat about childrearing and home-management. I rejoice that the Lord would use our success to help others. Said student also confessed that when we invited them to our home recently (they have yet to come) his wife was paralyzed with fear of us, we seem so perfect (Ha!). He assured his wife of our friendliness. I trust we will meet them all soon. This morning when I awoke, prayers for his family were on my lips. I pondered the dynamic of someone being afraid of us. And then the delight of God's providence in this morning's Daily Light readings:

Moses did not know that the skin of his face shone while he talked with Him. Exodus 34:29

Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but to Your name give glory. Psalm 115:1

Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? Matthew 25:37

In lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Be clothed with humility. Philippians 2:3 & 1 Peter 5:5

Jesus was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and His clothes became as white as the light. Matthew 17:2

All who sat in the council, looking steadfastly at Stephen, saw his face as the face of an angel. Acts 6:15

The glory which You gave Me I have given them. John 17:22

We all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord. 2 Corinthians 3:18

You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Matthew 5:14-15

About the beauty, or the glory, of our own lives, the (relative) obedience and faith of our children, and the instructive blessing that it is to others I would add Psalm 118:23: The Lord has done this and it is marvelous in our eyes.

May God encourage, strengthen in heart, all His saints everywhere to acknowledge His grace and to proclaim it, not suppressing it in the pride of false humility. May His will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jordan said...

Please send me a copy of that paper. I would really like to read it. Also, I'm praying that the couple will come and spend time and be encouraged by you all. I'm missing your precious fellowship. Much love to you!

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home