Thursday, November 09, 2006

Advice to a busy younger woman

I'm fighting with my schedule right now... how on earth do I get everything done that needs to be done?!?! I don't know. I think I should be doing better than I am doing. The kids' schooling is a joke, their training isn't much better, and their obedience is shaky, at best. AGH. Plus I'm supposed to be cooking and cleaning and caring for others. How to balance it all is not what I'm good at.

Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you. Matthew 6:33. I hope that does not sound blunt. I'm not even sure how it applies. Only it is the first thing that comes to my mind as I write you an answer. It is true.

Practically: you can't get everything done that "needs" to be done. But God in His gracious and good and wise Providence will cause you to "do" what He wants you to do. Each moment, each day.The thing for you is to be as diligent as you can be, and yet as flexible as you can be for the needs that present themselves to your attention. May God give you wisdom to discern between the immediate and the urgent and the important. You're in the trenches on a training field. You will make small and large mistakes. But God works all these things together for your good, for the good of your husband and also the children, and for the good of the Church and the Demons, both of whom watch on.

Priorities (probably in this order):
-Worshiping God.
-Loving and respecting your husband.
-Keeping your children holy, this includes discipline.
-Keeping your children fed and clothed and clean when appropriate.
-Training your children to be your helpers. (Work alongside them, or have them work alongside you at all the various chores of the home until they are competent to take over.)
-Educating your children, this includes discipline. Certainly their obedience is a higher priority than their training, and their training a higher priority than their schooling. If you master the first, you will have more time for the second and third.
-Extending your home through hospitality and mercy ministries comes at the bottom of the list. I am not sure this is the time of your life that you should be thinking about caring for others. God has given you all that you can handle each day. It seems like more than you can handle. But at the end of the day, thank Him for the relative successes of the day, the health of the family, the myriad blessings of your life, and most of all for His great salvation.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debby,

Thank you for this note. It's a blessing to me.

I only have three blessings but working outside the home in the evening 15 hours a week throws a monkey wrench into many days.

Love,
Karen W.

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home