Let us draw near with boldness
This morning I received this as part of an email message from a dear friend of mine. I post it for your encouragement:
Lately I have been realizing that I often misread exhortations in Scripture, like those of the writer of Hebrews, as mere suggestions: i.e., "Let us . . ." = "Try this and see if it happens to work for you, because I personally found it rather helpful." Obviously, that is absurd. Such commandments are given to direct us to the God of our salvation, who does not offer His grace uncertainly by any means.
Let us therefore give diligence to enter into that rest, that no man fall after the same example of disobedience. For the word of God is living, and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and quick to discern the thoughts and intents of the heart. And there is no creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and laid open before the eyes of him with whom we have to do. Having then a great high priest, who hath passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we have not a high priest that cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but one that hath been in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore draw near with boldness unto the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy, and may find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4)
I have also been learning what it means to take my encouragement in prayer from God alone. Manifestly it is not our worthiness or usefulness to God that gives us confidence to mine the graces stored up for those who obey and believe the gospel. A favorite Puritan wrote that Christ's disciples learn contentment largely by assimilating a few simple truths:
- I am nothing in myself.
- I deserve nothing from God.
- I can do nothing by myself.
- I am by nature not just an empty, but a corrupt vessel.
- I can make no use of the greatest blessings, if God does not give Himself with them.
- I am worse than nothing on account of my sin.
- If God should do away with me entirely, it's no loss; he can raise up someone else in my place.
Christ's own argument relating these truths to prayer is that we, being evil, know how to give good gifts to our children; probably none of us really knows how much more willing God is to give everything to those who, confessing their poverty, fear and hope in Him only for salvation. All of you have been in my prayers to this end---that against the multiplicity of lies about what kind of faith and religion and lifestyle pleases God, you would cling to Christ, standing firm in the truth that you have in great mercy received, and increasing in the knowledge of God in the particular circumstances He has thought best for you.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home