Friday, February 09, 2007

Dwelling in safety

Feel safe?

Psalm 127:1; Psalm 4:8

I sent this link along with these scripture passages to a few friends, and this was one response I receieved:

Brilliant. Now everyone knows how to do it.

Honey, don't torture yourself by watching this stuff! (The young checkers say "Hon" around here to everybody--including middle-aged women like me. :-)

I didn't turn on the sound or watch the whole thing--just saw the anguished women's faces. Maybe there was a how-to-avoid at the end that made it worthwhile.

(This isn't a rebuke--just an encouragement to spare yourself whatever diet of stories that kicks up this kind of stuff and can rob our peace.... I know I'm no less safe now than I would be if I kept track of the news but I'm a lot less anxious than I used to be.) I'm sure the scripture passages you sent get the focus back on trust.

Forgive me if I'm off base....

Thanks for sending it in any case! I wonder if I can do that if I lock myself out....

Thanks. I'm of EXACTLY your thinking (I mean, we were raised in the same crib, no?) except that I'm less disciplined about watching an occasional piece. At the end, they did recommend the only two mfrs. of bump-proof locks. But it made me crazy that they actually showed the whole world HOW to do it. They explained that the whole underworld already knows how to do it because the how-tos are so easily available on the web. Oh, what a web the web is!

The scripture passages:
Psalm 127:1 Unless the LORD guards the city,
The watchman stays awake in vain.

Psalm 4:8 I will both lie down in peace, and sleep;
For You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.

The latter verse a great comfort to me while living with many young in a somewhat "unsafe" neighborhood in Chattanooga while Cal traveled a lot. Especially after the time when a neighbor/friend came at 9 p.m. to retrieve an extension ladder another friend had left at my house. I knew nothing of it, but that there was someone in my backyard messing around at the back of my house. I figure that I had watched too much tv in my younger days and had learned how to imagine so much evil. I am fond of remembering Elisabeth Elliot's words: We never imagine the grace.

Blessings,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One cannot "bump" a lock with just any key. A key for use in "bumping" has to be cut in a particular way, a fact that the news broadcast pointed out, and while the news broadcast did show a key being cut on a key-cutting machine, it did not show the particular way in which the key must be cut to work for "bumping." So, no, the TV news didn't show people the most important thing they needed to know to "bump" a lock, but it did show that it can be done, and it did mention that the information for doing it is on the Web, so perhaps that will have encouraged some thieves to find the information and use it. But it also told what companies make the locks that aren't vulnerable, and no doubt the companies that don't will start doing it now or stand to lose a lot of business, so in the end I think it likely that this will result in more, not less, safety. But the most important thing to remember is that, while Scripture teaches us to be prudent and not tempt the Lord by doing high-risk things without good reason, it also teaches us that we are always in His hands and have absolutely nothing to fear from man.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home