Friday, March 30, 2007

Self-control

A friend asked me for advice about her daughter, fast approaching puberty. She figured that with three teen-aged daughters, I would be the expert on PMS. My life is so busy that I often don’t reflect on cause and effect until it is put in my face. But with thanksgiving I realized that I had no idea when my daughters’ cycles are for their behavior doesn’t reveal it. My thanksgiving is to God and to His wise servants in our past who taught us, when our children were little, to teach them the Christian virtue of self-control. We were taught to train our children that even when they were tired or sick they needed to act accordingly with God’s Word. Not what you hear in psychological circles today. But we are reaping the peaceable fruit of righteousness. Thanks be to God.

Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Hebrews 12:11

But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 2 Peter 1:5-7


But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Galatians 5:22-24


"For I have known him, in order that he may command his children and his household after him, that they keep the way of the LORD, to do righteousness and justice, that the LORD may bring to Abraham what He has spoken to him.” Genesis 18:19

1 Comments:

Blogger SomeOne said...

I subscribe to and read only the feeds of several blogs rather than visit the pages themselves, but in your case, I think I should come look for comments every once in awhile. The instruction you give there is every bit as good as your posts.

Jennifer, who is trying hard to ignore the crying baby

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home