Stephen Freeman's Dramatic Interpretation
Then did Christian draw, for he saw it was time to bestir him; and Apollyon as fast made at him, throwing darts as thick as hail; by the which, notwithstanding all that Christian could do to avoid it, Apollyon wounded him in his head, his hand, and foot. This made Christian give a little back; Apollyon, therefore, followed his work amain, and Christian again took courage, and resisted as manfully as he could. This sore combat lasted for above half a day, even till Christian was almost quite spent; for you must know that Christian, by reason of his wounds, must needs grow weaker and weaker.
Life moves too fast for me sometimes. I would sit and ponder and figure things out, write them down and chew on them. But my necessary service does not often allow it. And sometimes I fear that my weak faith is made weaker for that.
I have been watching from afar the struggles of my first daughter, sometimes feeling helpless, sometimes pleading for her with the Father, sometimes second-guessing the things for which we once thought we had Light. (Yet I am sure of the Presence of the Lord with her, and I see her usefulness to Him in the days she has been in Northfield.)
Last week we were busy, busy, busy from Monday morning until Friday afternoon, preparing for, participating in, and cleaning up from the Florida Pre-Qualifying Regional Tournament of the National Christian Forensics and Communications Association, held at a local Christian school. Some of my time was free from serving and judging and I could drop in on an occasional speech event. As Providence would have it, I saw an interpretation of the Battle between Apollyon and Christian from John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress. God used it wonderfully to bring my attention to the line "Apollyon wounded him in his head, his hand, and foot. "
We prepare our children to be Christian soldiers. And there comes a time when they are sent at last into the fearsome battle. Whoever said they would not be wounded? May God be glorified through our wounds, even as He is glorified through the wounds of His Son. May our various scars make us stronger for coming skirmishes. May we be well protected by the helmet of salvation, the shield of faith and the sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God.
After the speech event I was sent on an errand. I called to check up on Susan and learned of her great physical weakness. One of her friends was just then carrying her backpack for her to class, so weak was she. It dawned on me to suggest that God was using her suffering to teach her friends compassion. She seemed to like that idea. I also shared with her the insights the Bunyan piece had just provided. It blessed me to be able to encourage her spiritually instead of giving her weakening sympathy. I think it is time to re-read Pilgrim's Progress.
Then Apollyon, espying his opportunity, began to gather up close to Christian, and wrestling with him, gave him a dreadful fall; and with that Christian's sword flew out of his hand. Then said Apollyon, I am sure of thee now. And with that he had almost pressed him to death, so that Christian began to despair of life; but as God would have it, while Apollyon was fetching of his last blow, thereby to make a full end of this good man, Christian nimbly stretched out his hand for his sword, and caught it, saying, "Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy; when I fall I shall arise" and with that gave him a deadly thrust, which made him give back, as one that had received his mortal wound. Christian perceiving that, made at him again, saying, "Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us". And with that Apollyon spread forth his dragon's wings, and sped him away, that Christian for a season saw him no more.
Life moves too fast for me sometimes. I would sit and ponder and figure things out, write them down and chew on them. But my necessary service does not often allow it. And sometimes I fear that my weak faith is made weaker for that.
I have been watching from afar the struggles of my first daughter, sometimes feeling helpless, sometimes pleading for her with the Father, sometimes second-guessing the things for which we once thought we had Light. (Yet I am sure of the Presence of the Lord with her, and I see her usefulness to Him in the days she has been in Northfield.)
Last week we were busy, busy, busy from Monday morning until Friday afternoon, preparing for, participating in, and cleaning up from the Florida Pre-Qualifying Regional Tournament of the National Christian Forensics and Communications Association, held at a local Christian school. Some of my time was free from serving and judging and I could drop in on an occasional speech event. As Providence would have it, I saw an interpretation of the Battle between Apollyon and Christian from John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress. God used it wonderfully to bring my attention to the line "Apollyon wounded him in his head, his hand, and foot. "
We prepare our children to be Christian soldiers. And there comes a time when they are sent at last into the fearsome battle. Whoever said they would not be wounded? May God be glorified through our wounds, even as He is glorified through the wounds of His Son. May our various scars make us stronger for coming skirmishes. May we be well protected by the helmet of salvation, the shield of faith and the sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God.
After the speech event I was sent on an errand. I called to check up on Susan and learned of her great physical weakness. One of her friends was just then carrying her backpack for her to class, so weak was she. It dawned on me to suggest that God was using her suffering to teach her friends compassion. She seemed to like that idea. I also shared with her the insights the Bunyan piece had just provided. It blessed me to be able to encourage her spiritually instead of giving her weakening sympathy. I think it is time to re-read Pilgrim's Progress.
Then Apollyon, espying his opportunity, began to gather up close to Christian, and wrestling with him, gave him a dreadful fall; and with that Christian's sword flew out of his hand. Then said Apollyon, I am sure of thee now. And with that he had almost pressed him to death, so that Christian began to despair of life; but as God would have it, while Apollyon was fetching of his last blow, thereby to make a full end of this good man, Christian nimbly stretched out his hand for his sword, and caught it, saying, "Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy; when I fall I shall arise" and with that gave him a deadly thrust, which made him give back, as one that had received his mortal wound. Christian perceiving that, made at him again, saying, "Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us". And with that Apollyon spread forth his dragon's wings, and sped him away, that Christian for a season saw him no more.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home