on spiritual warfare in our heads
Request: Could you pray for me today? I'm struggling a bit with anxiety...sometimes I get a thought in my head and I allow it to fester.... and I become anxious. I know this is sin. i begin to fear things that I'm thinking... like I'm going crazy... I know - it's totally irratoinal!!! Thanks for being such a faithful prayer warrior!
Reply: I will pray for you. May God grant you to understand what I also need to understand and what Michael so beautifully taught his wife to be. She wrote:
As he is wont when I am untalkative, Mike asked what I was thinking. I had to answer that, as I am wont, I was indulging in some strangely random and irrational fears about hypocrisy and insincerity of profession (mine). Before reminding me that unprovoked, untimely doubts like that are most often Satanic, and therefore to be rejected out of hand, he gently but pragmatically pointed out that mothers simply don't have a lifestyle that allows for such indulgence. Nor do wives, who are largely called to live the Christian life openly with their husbands. He didn't say so, but I thought of that in terms of a true wife being a help and encouragement to her husband rather than a high maintenance parishioner of sorts, always
harboring fears and complaints of the least spiritual ailment. (I read that John Knox had such a woman in his lifeāhis mother-in-law.)
harboring fears and complaints of the least spiritual ailment. (I read that John Knox had such a woman in his lifeāhis mother-in-law.)
Point I take, that you need to take, is to recognize, as spiritual warfare, the negative thoughts as not your own, unless you own them. So shove them out with audible hymns of praise to God while you work. And pray for me to do the same.
1 Comments:
Luther said you can't stop the birds from flying around your head -- but don't have to let them build a nest in your hair.
-- Wendy
Post a Comment
<< Home