Friday, September 14, 2007

Perplexed, but not in despair

No matter the new schedules we set, life happens too randomly to stick with it, it seems. (Didn't I say that Fridays would have a holiday feel? Trust that they'll get at their various chores with diligence and excellence.) It is almost nine and only Peter is up doing math. (And he hasn't gotten the required physical exercise today. Will he before it gets too hot?) I walked "Little Bit" (dog-sitting again) and pulled a few weeds while I was at it. (Which put my mind right back into the slumbering rooms upstairs. Where is the child who promised to do daily bits of weeding?) I've already prepared tonight's casserole, read several devotionals (including Brian Douglas's very good article on the wine valleys of France and the fruitlessness of our lives) and half of 2 Corinthians, put a small dent into the clutter I must control around our desk areas, thanked God for His magnificent creation of clouds lit by the rising sun, straightened up a part of the kitchen, reconstituted yesterday's sweet tea with ice in a clean pitcher. So now shall I just go down and paint and learn to trust that my not micromanaging will lead to their greater sense of responsibility? I'm not at all sure, given human depravity which includes laziness, that I'm not supposed to be training it into them. But am I not too old and calcified and achy and distracted to manage seven schedules at once, and how shall I get any other work done if I'm busy cracking the whip and checking progress?

I pray the Father gives me peace this morning and diligence to go finish Peter's painting, despite the quiet washing machine and the unswept floors. I pray that He will give me patience to ride this season out. I pray He will grant morning diligence and delight to my slothful, if growing and tired, children.

6 Comments:

Blogger SomeOne said...

I guess this means I shouldn't email you with my frustrations on my own children's laziness and help on what I should be doing besides alternately cracking the whip and then standing back to see if any of the mommy-imposed discipline sticks.

And you are not old.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Compleat Mom said...

No, you shouldn't, because you and I both should be too busy with the work of training them in godliness.

Here is an update:

All children are now up. Three were sent back, at differing times, to have private devotions. One was sent back to make his bed. Several were reminded to look at their schedules. One has been spanked for dawdling away the morning and not doing what should have been done. My painting is done but for the signature. I was getting sloppy with color-mixing and decided to call it quits before I ruined what was there. Kilby and I have been to Lenscrafters where we learned that she doesn't need new glasses, and to Winn-Dixie for the weekend's groceries. The house is still not ready for Bible Study tonight, nor is my room cleaned, which job I set for myself last night. Kilby is setting to the housework, but recruiting kids, some with good attitudes, some without. I'll go pitch in, too. So Hebrew doesn't get studied again. But let's look at God's Providence alone.

I am old. I'm almost 54. And I can't do what I used to do. But I'm thankful for your friendship.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

You're not old.
Karen,
a nurse who has cared for many people in their late 80s and 90s

11:58 PM  
Blogger Compleat Mom said...

Yeah, but I'm getting there

12:54 AM  
Blogger Compleat Mom said...

And you just say that because you're afraid Greg will call you old pretty soon.

;-)

12:55 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Funny. :D

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home