Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Well-ordered Home

The following is from a friend. I publish it here not to boast, for all that we are that is lovely and good is from the Lord and a testimony to His rich Word in our lives. But I publish it to instruct other wives and children about the beauty of the holiness of living according to God's priorities, and not those of the world. I thank my friend for her instruction to all of us.

Unrelated to that: I keep writing you things that are trying to convey this big idea: that I'm getting a better glimpse of what it means to truly be a helpmeet, to center our home on his calling. It's strange.. it's clear to me that I haven't been doing that although I thought I was.

You will not believe this, but seeing all of your husband's books in your home, seeing how Becky is cataloging them, the boys putting together the shelves, seeing you buy shelves and give up your living room to them, has really affected me. Not necessarily that I must do that with J's books (although he would love it)... but the picture is of a family that embraces what the Dad loves and is gifted and called to do, and then organizes and maintains the home to enable him to better do what he is called to do. Now THAT I can get excited about. The only purpose I could see in the running the home before I met you was to raise godly children and to have a lot of laughing and fun and make great memories. (I did not see cleaning or organizing as a worthwhile use of time -- I figured we were better off reading a book. I also knew I should be entertaining because the Bible says to, but not seeing a purpose for it, it ultimately got pushed to the bottom of the list -- off the list.) But you have helped me see a vision that I am truly excited about -- it has slowly been dawning on me that I can do so much more to help my husband please God -- and that I am crucial to [my husband] being great for God. Wow.

J has never once criticized me for the way I manage this house. He has always been happy and cheerful just to find me here when he gets home. But I am seeing that this home is a part of who J is and can reflect how generous and joyful and warm he is -- a part of him that others might not see otherwise. And that's what the Bride (the church) is supposed to be doing for Christ, her bridegroom. So -- wow.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deb,

Thank you so much for always encouraging me through your blog! This is EXACTLY what I needed to read this a.m., while I have been struggling with contentment and carrying out priorities. I know God is glorified when I'm a helpmeet to Pete. Unlike J, Pete DOES prefer an orderly house, so this is what I need to work on! Thank you for always being an example to me! I miss you!
Nan

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home