Friday, April 24, 2009

a note to my children

4/24/09

Oh, give thanks to JHWH! Call upon His name; make known His deeds among the peoples!
Sing to Him, sing psalms to Him; talk of all His wondrous works!
Glory in His holy name; let the hearts of those rejoice who seek JHWH!
Seek JHWH and His strength; seek His face evermore!
Remember His marvelous works which He has done, his wonders, and the judgments of His mouth.
O seed of Abraham His servant, you children of Jacob, His chosen ones!
He is JHWH our God; His judgments are in all the earth.
He remembers His covenant forever, the word which He commanded, for a thousand generations,
The covenant which He made with Abraham, and His oath to Isaac,
And confirmed it to Jacob for a statute, to Israel as an everlasting covenant,
Saying, “To you I will give the land of Canaan as the allotment of your inheritance,”
When they were few in number, indeed very few, and strangers in it. . . .

He brought out His people with joy, His chosen ones with gladness.
He gave them the land of the Gentiles, and they inherited the labor of the nations,
that they might observe His statutes and keep His laws.

Praise JHWH!
Psalm 105


. . . Daniel distinguished himself above the governors and satraps, because an excellent spirit was in him; and the king gave thought to setting him over the whole realm. . . .

. . . in his upper room, with his windows open toward Jerusalem, he knelt down on his knees three times that day, and prayed and gave thanks before his God, as was his custom since early days. . . .
Daniel 6:3, 10


. . . the report went around concerning Him all the more; and great multitudes came together to hear, and to be healed by Him of their infirmities. So He Himself often withdrew into the wilderness and prayed. Luke 5:15, 16


To the elect lady and her children, whom I love in truth, and not only I, but also all those who have known the truth, because of the truth which abides in us and will be with us forever:

Grace, mercy, and peace will be with you from God the Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love.

I rejoiced greatly that I have found some of your children walking in truth, as we received commandment from the Father. And now I plead with you, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment to you, but that which we have had from the beginning: that we love one another. This is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, that as you have heard from the beginning, you should walk in it. For many deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. Look to yourselves, that we do not lose those things we worked for, but that we may receive a full reward. Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 1-9

These were from my readings this morning. What a blessing it is to read of the promises to those who seek the Lord.

As is often the case I woke at five. God gave me grace to seek Him in deed this time, not making excuses with Psalm 127 about His gift of sleep. I read these scriptures, turned out the light and prayed for a few of you for a few minutes, reflecting on the scriptures. I want God. I want to be like Jesus who withdrew often to pray. If Christ needed that, how much more we need to seek God. I turned the light back on and read them again. What promises to my weak heart I find. I want God and here everyday He offers Himself to me. I think of the invitation “Take, eat.” He commands our praise in Psalm 105 and He commands us to seek Him. The Psalm recounts His covenantal faithfulness to the children of Israel, finishing with His purpose for bringing them through the wilderness with gladness: that they might observe His statues and keep His laws. It is what Daniel did, for which he was given an excellent spirit. I pondered God’s grace to us in the excellent spirits He has granted my children. I prayed for you in your various places of service and pray that you will seek Him with your whole hearts. That you will “look to yourselves that we do not lose those things we worked for, but that we may receive a full reward”, even God Himself.

The sun is now streaming in the east window of the family room where I write. It is time to turn to service of breakfast, straightening, working with the sprinkler system fixer man, taking Grace to be evaluated by a better piano teacher, picking up groceries for our homeschool class lunch today. Class is at 11:30 with a lunch break between chapters of Ben Hart’s book. Maybe this afternoon AJ & I can begin repairing the porch furniture. May each of you walk this day according to His commandments. I love you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home