Monday, November 15, 2010

Commanded to RESPECT our husbands...

The following is a conversation I'm having today, posted here for what it's worth...

D: Dear, dear C. God blesses you with humility that you should make yourself so vulnerable. The lovely thing is we get to believe Romans 8 when it says that God works ALL things together for our good! Cal and I are just reading a good book by Dr. Emmerson Eggerichs called LOVE AND RESPECT that helps to identify the main problem in marriage. Perhaps you your husband, or even just you, could read that and see where it might be of value. And may your daughters learn from your example how to respect their men. Ah, we're all sinners. Thank God for His love which provided for all of us. I will keep you and your dear family in my prayers.

C: Is this a book that would not offend [my husband]?

D: Well, so far I have seen no discussion of the gospel at all. In fact, it is very akin to Dr. Laura Schlesinger's book PROPER CARE AND FEEDING OF HUSBANDS. Indeed, the book begins most heavily instructing the wives who don't get the RESPECT part. Later comes a call to men to lead with their chins in LOVING their wives, but I think that the book, while helping the marriage, mostly preaches at the wives. You see, in our biblically illiterate and rebellious (feministic) culture, we have neglected the scripture that commands wives to respect their husbands. In fact, we don't even know how to do this, what it looks like. But the book helps to instruct. I think it makes a husband feel like he is finally getting a break, so he won't be offended by the book. But eventually, it teaches the couple how to understand each other better and therefore relate well. It is published by Thomas Nelson publishers and pushed by Focus on the Family. I think it must be several years old.

While I was visiting my new daughter in law last week she handed me Dr. Laura's book. She was hesitant to read it because of who recommended it. But I read the first half and told her that though Dr. Laura was not speaking out of Christianity, most of what she says is true and therefore helpful. It helps that jewish Dr. Laura is informed by the Old Testament (Torah)scriptures anyway. The only problem is that it becomes pragmatic (what will work) instead of principled (doing it whether it works or not because GOD said to--nice thing, though, God, our creator, KNOWS what will work because HE designed it. So though we should obey scripture based on principle alone, it also becomes pragmatic.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home